Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 108

Thread: Wise County Power Plant

  1. #31
    Inactive Member Diets17's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2004
    Posts
    1,291
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wise County Power Plant

    We actually do need the jobs. Anytime jobs are created, the competition in this area goes up. That is a good thing. Some of us may have good jobs right now, no reason to not try for something better though if it were to come along. Always try to improve your situation.

    About the health risks, I would have to have more information on that before passing judgement. Id like to hear some facts.

  2. #32
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wise County Power Plant

    I guess my argument on this isn't about the jobs, its the overall effect on the economy, the tax base. No you don't just throw healthy and public safety out the window, but a good portion of the people who show up at these meetings, show up at every and any meeting across the country, or at least in their areas.

    Its funny to me because the people who show up and scream 'save our scoos' are some of the same ones who show up and scream about the power plant. These people want their cake, they want to eat it too, and they want you to feed it to them.

    Simple logic to me is if they want their scoos, the more money the county has available, the better chances there is for the county to not have to make the tough choice, but make the friendly choice.

    I appreciate the way things used to be, but things change, the world changes and as much as some people don't want it to, this area has to change or we end up with a bunch of ghost towns, not based on gold but coal.

    Protect the environment, put provisions in, protecting it as much as possible. If Mercedes was going to come in here tomorrow and build a factory, then yes you could look elsewhere, you could potentially turn down this increase, but unless someone is seeing something I don't, there is no line of large tax bases moving in.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  3. #33
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wise County Power Plant

    I figure that I lose the right to complain about any power plants anywhere each time I flick on a switch, tv, heat pump, etc. without utilizing other resources first (e.g. solar, wind, etc).

    And besides that fact, I'm for it for economic reasons.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  4. #34
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wise County Power Plant

    The tax base argument isn't valid considering the large tax break this place is going to receive. It's around 75 permanent jobs the other jobs are temporary for construction. Mines are going practically begging for experienced miners as it is. They really aren't hiring new miners. I don't see how this is going to cause a big economic impact like they suggest. If they were going to build this thing to where it would be as clean as possible I'd support it more than I do now but there doing it at their cheapest expensive (which they should) and our government is allowing it. As for people in other areas not having the right to complain, the cities of Blacksburg and Charlottesville have passed resolutions against this due to the fact the pollution will spread to them.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  5. #35
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wise County Power Plant

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for people in other areas not having the right to complain, the cities of Blacksburg and Charlottesville have passed resolutions against this due to the fact the pollution will spread to them. </div></div>
    But they happily use the electricity that other localities provide to them.
    And I didn't say others can't complain.. .I actually said I don't have the right to complain. I'd be a hypocrite because I cannot give up the electricity these plants provide.

    As NSSB said: NIMBY.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  6. #36
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wise County Power Plant

    I'm not saying we shouldn't use plants. Like I said there not doing it the most efficient way, thats my problem. There are wastes with all of these but the amount of pollution being put off by this one is to much.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  7. #37
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wise County Power Plant

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PVFAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not saying we shouldn't use plants. Like I said there not doing it the most efficient way, thats my problem. There are wastes with all of these but the amount of pollution being put off by this one is to much.</div></div>

    Just be careful to not fall for the anti-plant propoganda.
    It's really not as bad as the SUV driving, non-recycling, electricity-wasting environmentalists want you to think.

    I wish I could have the same materials posted here that I've had to handle regarding this lately. Just good, up to date, factual reading.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  8. #38
    Inactive Member GhostlyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 22nd, 2007
    Posts
    45
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wise County Power Plant

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elp6n</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PVFAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not saying we shouldn't use plants. Like I said there not doing it the most efficient way, thats my problem. There are wastes with all of these but the amount of pollution being put off by this one is to much.</div></div>

    Just be careful to not fall for the anti-plant propoganda.
    It's really not as bad as the SUV driving, non-recycling, electricity-wasting environmentalists want you to think. </div></div>

    So you are telling me that u think wasting energy and gas is good thing? It does not matter that plant will efficient not to pollute southwest virginia or all of virginia? u are sorrry mistaken cause if you want not to be heathly and have health problems then support it all cost. please. be the person who gets cancer

  9. #39
    Inactive Member Diets17's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2004
    Posts
    1,291
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wise County Power Plant

    No she's being sarcastic. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

  10. #40
    Inactive Member GhostlyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 22nd, 2007
    Posts
    45
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Wise County Power Plant

    well hopefully she is. cause i don't think this area's health should be at risk despite a few jobs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •